Summer Job Posting for the London Environmental Network
Job title: Communications & Outreach Assistant
Hourly wage rate: $11.40/hour for 37.5 hours a week. 16 week contract.
We have funding for a 4 month contract (16 weeks) starting May 8th 2017 to Friday August 25th 2017. We do have some flexibility on the start and end dates however – so don’t let that be a deterrent! You must also meet the following Canada Summer Job requirements; must be between 15-30 years old, currently registered as a full-time student and returning as a full-time student and must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or official refugee.
The London Environmental Network (LEN) is a network of local environmentally focused non-profits and community groups. LEN works to strengthen these groups internally so they are better able to make positive change over the long term. The LEN also works to raise the profile of the environmental non-profit sector so we attract more volunteers and supporters in growing a healthy, sustainable city.
The London Environmental Network is currently seeking a 4 month summer student to be our Communications & Outreach Assistant from May-August 2017. The successful candidate will help us with our external communications, outreach booths, events, and with certain research projects and reports.
- You’ll be responsible for curating content for the London Environmental Network’s Instagram, Facebook and Twitter accounts for 4 months (both scheduled and in person posts)
- You will attend member events to take photos and promote
- You will be responsible for setting up and staffing a few outreach booths throughout the 4 months
- You will help the Network Coordinator with compiling information for certain projects. You’ll also do a little bit of work on the social media analytics for the organization.
- You will help with event management, including event invites, coordinating food, and event setup
- Your days will be a mix of office work and event/outreach work.
Small but mighty is our trademark! If you are the successful candidate you will be working in a team of two as you would be working closely with our Network Coordinator to achieve both your personal goals and the organizational goals. We want you to succeed just as much as we want to benefit from your work at LEN.
We encourage Woof Wednesdays (if you have a trained dog you can bring it to work on Wednesdays). We love potlucks (usually once a month). We also encourage you to take advantage of the beautiful nature surrounding the office by taking walking breaks throughout the day.
Preference will be given to candidates that have the following experience:
- Ideally in a program related to marketing, communications, event planning, non-for profit or community development
- Demonstrated use of Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for non-personal use
- Ability to write clear and engaging content
- Setting up and staffing outreach booths
- Some experience with program implementation, evaluation or development
- Reporting skills (budgets, tracking, evaluation etc.)
The Communications & Outreach Assistant will be working on the development and delivery of the London Environmental Network (LEN) communications strategy along with updating and evaluating current LEN material.
Responsibilities of the Communications & Outreach Assistant will include:
- Development and posting of social media content
- Design, development and implementation of LEN monthly e-newsletter for Londoners
- Design of event invitations, surveys and other updates for email community as required
- Assisting with the development of material for the LEN website
- Monitoring and responding to questions on the email group
- Assistance in the development of outreach material for LEN and network organizations
- Participating in local events put on by LEN and network organizations as a photographer/blogger
- Creation of analytics report to evaluate the performance of LEN communications
- Outreach booth setup and staffing at certain events
- Researching and setting up a CRM database to track LEN members
- Researching grant opportunities for environmental groups
- Assisting with creating a streamlined way to access municipal, provincial and federal environmental projects, programs and news on a regular basis
- Maintaining a daily log of activities and achievements
- Performing other similar and related activities as required
- Reporting project progress to the Network Coordinator in a timely manner
- Creating a transition manual to be delivered to the next Assistant
Supervision and Mentoring Plan:
The Communications & Outreach Assistant will report directly to the Network Coordinator of the London Environmental Network. Orientation to the London Environmental Network and the position will be provided at the beginning of the position and will include an overview of the London Environmental Network organizational structure, mandate, policies, procedures and properties.
Project training and supervision will be provided by the Network Coordinator who will communicate the specific goals, tasks and expectations of individual projects. The Communications & Outreach Assistant will work with the Network Coordinator directly most days and be in contact on a daily basis when working independently.
The Network Coordinator will meet with the Communications & Outreach Assistant once per week to review progress on projects, update work plans accordingly, and discuss new ideas and challenges.
How to Apply:
Email email@example.com by Thursday April 27th 2017 with a cover letter and resume. Interviews will occur on Friday April 28th, Monday May 1st and Tuesday May 2nd. Start date May 8th ideally.