Summer Student, Summer Event Coordinator
5 days/week @37.5 hours/week
* Anticipated start date of June 5th, 2017 *
*Accepting applications until the position is filled*
From Canada’s big cities to its remote land, waters, and rural communities,
Tides Canada provides uncommon solutions for the common good.
Our mission is to help Canadians secure a healthy environment in ways that promote social equity and economic prosperity. To tackle the complex environmental and social problems that we face in Canada today, Tides Canada provides strategy, expertise, and tools to ensure changemakers can get from vision to impact.
The Freshwater Alliance, a project on the Tides Canada shared platform, is a national initiative that builds, connects and supports freshwater constituencies across Canada. We work with environmental organizations, community groups, governments and businesses to strengthen citizen engagement and participation in the protection of our lakes and rivers.
Position Summary: Our Summer Event Coordinator (Summer Student) will be responsible for supporting the coordination of community events and/or town halls across the Lake Erie watershed. Events will celebrate the connection of our communities with our lakes, rivers and waterways and will be designed to increase public narratives, strengthen community engagement and raise awareness on water decisions affecting communities. Events will, where possible, leverage Canada’s 150year celebrations emphasizing the current and historical importance of water to our communities, including First Nations and non-First Nations.
- Organize and lead in community outreach efforts in the London region for our LakeErieAlive.org initiative, including:
- Attend a minimum of 3 local festivals and events
- Support the organizing of local events and activities (ie. local town halls, film screenings etc).
- Attend other regional events as needed (ie. Windsor, Chatham-Kent)
- Support initiative communications, including:
- Contribute a minimum of 4 blog posts
- Contribute to monthly initiative eblasts
- Facilitate the deepening of engagement for local volunteers, including:
- Host a minimum of 2 volunteer engagement sessions
- Coordinate outings to Lake Erie
- Other volunteer engagement activities as defined by interest of local volunteers
- Participate in regular team meetings.
This position is made possible with support from Canada Summer Jobs and only applicants who meet all of the following criteria will be considered:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in September;
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act3; and
- Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
- An understanding of, and enthusiasm for protecting the health of the region’s freshwater
- Experience with community volunteerism, engagement and outreach activities
- Ability to organize events and willingness to communicate with residents of London and area on issues of freshwater health
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including use of basic computer programs
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- A valid driver’s license and occasional access to use of an automobile is an asset but not required
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “London Summer Events Coordinator” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please help us understand why you’re the ideal candidate by addressing the following questions:
- Do you meet the Canada Summer Jobs requirements outlined above?
- What interests you most about this position?
- Briefly tell us how your skills and experiences are a good fit for this position.
For more information about the Canadian Freshwater Alliance and Tides Canada, please visit:
www.freshwateralliance.ca / www.lakeeriealive.org
As Canadian Freshwater Alliance is on Tides Canada’s Shared Platform,
the selected candidate will be an employee of Tides Canada.
Tides Canada is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace environment and
we welcome and encourage applications from the communities we serve.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Tides Canada will provide accommodation during all steps of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. Please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in the position, however,
only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or recruiters please.
We will accept applications until the position is filled.